Bavaria’s Painting Collections Face Tumult as Director Leaves and Claims of ‘Organizational Failure’ Fly

The Bavaria State Painting Collections, an organization that stewards famed paintings shown at many of Munich’s top museums, is currently the subject of further controversy in Germany following a change in its leadership and reports of an internal investigation resulting from claims of “organizational failure.”

Earlier this year, the German publication Süddeutsche Zeitung released a bombshell report stating that there were far more Nazi-looted artworks owned by the Bavaria State Painting Collections than it had previously made public.

The organization, which shows works at institutions such as the Alte Pinakothek and the Museum Brandhorst, categorically denied the article’s claims. Markus Blume, Bavaria’s Minister of Science and the Arts, said he would provide further funding for provenance research.

But the tumult did not end there. The Bayerischer Rundfunk reported this week that there has been more trouble behind the scenes at the Bavarian State Painting Collections.

Bernhard Maaz, the director general of the Bavarian State Painting Collections, has left his post, according to the Bayerischer Rundfunk. Blume announced Maaz’s departure on Thursday, reportedly stating, “We are enabling a new beginning.”

Moreover, Blume said, “There have been and continue to be indications and allegations of misconduct and, in some areas, organizational failures.”

Initially, it was not clear what Blume was referencing, although he seemed to suggest it was something other than the claims about Nazi-looted art in the organization’s holdings. Then the radio station Deutschlandfunk said it had uncovered the true nature of the allegations Blume spoke of.

Deutschlandfunk reported that it had received word of what it described as “sexual harassment of minors and racist harassment by supervisory staff,” as well as the usage of surveillance systems to “illegally monitor the behavior of employees.” The radio station also said that there had been questions about “the security of artworks in at least one” building operated by the Bavarian State Painting Collections.

Seemingly in acknowledgement of these reports, Blume issued a press release on Thursday in which he spoke of a promised five-point package for reforming the Bavaria State Painting Collections. “There are issues, and a loss of trust has occurred,” he said in a statement. “In state museums and collections, there must not be the slightest doubt about sincerity and truthfulness. With a package of measures, we want to regain trust and live up to responsibility.”

Blume also announced that Anton Biebl, currently the head of cultural affairs in Munich, would temporarily assume the top post at the Bavaria State Painting Collections. “Without a fundamental new beginning at the Bavarian State Painting Collections, the museum initiative will not be able to achieve its intended goals,” Biebl said in a statement. “Therefore, it is necessary to adapt the objectives of the museum initiative to current developments and redistribute responsibility for the new beginning at the Bavarian State Painting Collections.”

Attempts to reach the Bavarian State Painting Collections press department via the contact information on its website were unsuccessful.

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours